The term LED refers to the type of lamp used in the projector. It is a technology of the future with many advantages and still some limitations. See the selection of the best-LED projectors.
LED is an acronym for Light, Emitting, Diode, and stands for a type of lamp. Projectors with an LED lamp are generally lighter and more compact but less bright.
This technology, its derivatives (OLED, etc.), can be found in many products, from televisions to car headlights. In a projection, LED refers to the light source and not to the projector technology itself. “LED” projectors are thus generally DLP or LCD models with an LED lamp.
What are the differences with a traditional projector?
Traditionally, projectors use mercury lamps (UHP, Ultra High Performance), which are brighter but have certain drawbacks such as lamp life or high temperature. While they generally have lower brightness, LED spotlights are often more compact and quieter than standard models. Find their strengths and weaknesses in the section below.
Advantages and disadvantages
There are many reasons for buying a projector, but unfortunately, these LED projectors are not suitable for all uses. Below is a list of their main advantages and disadvantages.
- Low heat: LED lamps to operate at much lower temperatures than conventional mercury lamps.
- Compact and lightweight: LED spotlights need less cooling than conventional spotlights. Therefore, there is no need for multiple fans in the devices, allowing them to design smaller and more robust models, particularly mini projectors and pocket projectors.
- Quiet: little cooling required so little noise. LED projectors are generally very discreet.
- Energy-efficient: LED technology consumes comparatively very little electricity (excellent light output). In the absence of an extensive cooling system, it is possible to have projectors running on a battery.
- Long lamp life: The projector from 10,000 to 20,000 hours on average, 5 times more than conventional lamps. At a rate of 2 hours of daily use, the light will have a lifespan of between 14 and 27 years.
- Ecological: there is less chance of lamps; therefore, less waste and less toxicity (no mercury).
- Low light: 1500 ANSI lumens at the maximum but generally somewhat less than 1000 lumens. It will often be necessary for home theater to have a very dark room for good picture quality. If the brightness has increased in recent years, it is still often insufficient to compete with that of conventional LCD and DLP models.
- For information, many manufacturers use “LED lumens” instead of “ANSI lumens.” See the insert below for more details.
In summary, LED projectors are more compact, quieter, more economical, and more environmentally friendly. In return, however, they are also less luminous, which limits their field of use.
An LED projector’s color rendering is different from that obtained by a model with a standard lamp. Consequently, for the same light output, the perception of brightness will also be different. This difference can be explained in particular by the Helmholtz – Kohlrausch effect (see Wikipedia). The perception of the clarity of an image depends on the saturation of the colors that compose it.
To value for this difference, manufacturers of LED projectors often use “LED lumens” (also called “color lumens”) instead of “ANSI lumens,” believing that the latter do not correctly reflect perceived brightness.
In our opinion, quantifying the perceived brightness is exciting, but unfortunately, there is still no standard that defines the mode of calculation of the LED lumens. In practice, each brand uses its method. Thus, it becomes impossible to objectively compare the models with each other, as is the case for ANSI lumens (measured according to a precise standard).
The selection below is specified for each model, whether the brightness is expressed in LED lumens or ANSI lumens.
What’s the use of
Due to its features, LED technology is mainly found on portable or transportable projectors. These are often “nomadic” devices, compact and robust, suitable for travel and professional use. Also, battery-operated models open up new horizons in terms of potential applications.
LED projectors are also quite suitable for projecting photos or films in large format. However, we will have to wait a little longer to have an extensive dedicated home theater range, with performance comparable to conventional DLP and 3LCD projectors.
Hybrid led-laser projectors
The system uses a light source an LED lamp associated with a laser to maximize the brightness. The colors are then composed of red (LED) and blue (Laser). This technique makes it possible to achieve higher brightness. However, these models are still few and relatively expensive to date.
Best LED Projector
Find below a selection of the best-LED projectors, sorted by price (from 350 to 1500 USD). If you are looking for a mini LED projector, you can also check the mini projectors page.
- PERFORMANCE: 400 Lumens; Native resolution:320x240 pixels; Sup-port resolution:1080P; Aspect ratio: 4:3 or 16:9; Projection distance: 1-3m; Projection size up to 60 inches.
- PRETTY APPEARANCE:super mini size like a smartphone, suitable for indoors and outdoors.Mini projector for home party ,wedding,film in bed.
- easy using ，harmless to eyes.
- 【NATIVE 1080P FULL HD RESOLUTION】With native resolution of 1920*1080 and contrast ratio of 5000:1, the VANKYO Performance V600 brings 3 times of more details than 720P projectors, delivering impeccable image quality for professional use.
- 【+80% BRIGHTER THAN OTHERS】Featuring greater brightness, this V600 projector provides a display up to 300" in size, and ideal contrast for business presentations, designed to create an excellent performance.
- 【ULTRA LONG-LASTING LAMP】With long-lasting lamps, this V600 full HD projector lasts for over 10 years of daily use (2-3 hours per session)
- ✔【Latest Ocean Wave Projector】: With Remote controller & touch senor keys, dual-optional and more convenient to operate. Freely turn on/off night light projector, change lighting mode, adjust the volume, to set automatically turn off timer. (Adapter Not Included)
- ✔【Super Bright LED & 7Colors】: Undersea projector lamp with super bright LED beads and 7 lighting modes, choose which mode show depending on your mood. Create a watery ocean atmosphere to bring you a seaside dream that you can travel at home at any time.
- ✔【45 Degree Adjustable】: The night light lamp can be tilted 0-45 degrees, convenient to project the light straight up or point in an appointed direction. Create a romantic, relaxation and cozy atmosphere to sleep or for a trade show booth or office reception area to greet your visitors.
- Ultra Bright 25 Lumens, High Definition 720p (1280x720) Native Resolution (Max 1080p), Vibrant Color Technology with 15,000 hour LEDs
- Ultra-portable with 80 Minute Built-in Rechargeable Lithium-ion Battery that can be charged via supplied micro USB cable.
- Built-in Speakers, 16:9 compatible, mini-HDMI, 3.5mm Aux Audio Out, Composite A/V connections, and Micro SD, USB readers for Media Playback (Accepts sizes up to 16GB)
- ♬【4 Light Color wtih 10 Color Combinations】7 modes includes music,ocean wave speed ,laser light, led light, dance, fade,like you’re stay in the middle of underwater or becoming a star rover. This night light projector can up to 21 lighting modes if the ocean wave light or together with laser star,showing you a watery ocean atmosphere and glowing moving stars light to you!
- ♬【 Remote Control & Musical】You no longer to worry about getting out of bed or sofa to turn on or off the night light, the remote also can control the star projector light, colorful Lights, adjust brightness, freely turn on/off the lamp, change lighting mode, music songs, timer. The latest sound-activated flicker mode allows the projection changing the color according to the music beat, resulting in a starry sky projection.
- ♬【Built-In Music Speaker】Night lights own itself Bluetooth 4.2 built-in music speaker so you can play music via Bluetooth, enjoy the ocean wave and starry projection show with kids while listening to the song.
- Environmental Eye protection: This child projector adopt LED light source,intend to protect children's eyes.LED light source onto a white wall or curtain and then diffuses it into the eyes to protect eyes.So children can watch movie for for a long time;
- Cute Body Design: This cute Pocket Projector is compact and easy to carry.Can replace home TV during your trip.Supports 5V-2A power bank,with external USB power bank.Not including Synchronizer.Enjoy your time anytime and anywhere.
- Rich functional ports: The mini pico projector equipped with multiple-media interfaces better use for leisure time,including HDMI,USB,Micro SD card,audio and AV interface.Support fire TV Stick.Can be powered by Power Bank;
- 【NATIVE RESOLUTION OF FULL HD 1920x1080】 With native resolution of 1920*1080 and contrast ratio of 5000:1, which is 3 times of more details than 720P projectors.Resolution support: 576i, 576p, 720i, 720p, 1080i, 1080p.M18 Native 1080P LED & Video Projector with 300" image display brings you the high quality experience for professional use.
- 【UPGRADE BRIGHTER AND CLEARER】Upgrade from 4500 lumens to 6000 lumens brightness, with real color 16777K. JIMTAB home projectors provide you with more stunning images and videos, and M18 Upgraded can restore more realistic color images.
- 【CONVENIENT UPGRADE, LOW POWER CONSUMPTION】We have upgraded the electronic keystone correction function. Upgrade from manual ±15° to electronic ±50°. Manual and automatic are all allowed.JIMTAB M18 Upgraded allows you to use shorter distance to project a larger screen, and it can be placed in a corner. The 145w ultra-low power consumption and needs about 50dB noise make the heat dissipation faster.
- Excellent Images - Updated in 2020, the video projector supports 1080P Full HD, 2000:1 contrast ratio, providing vivid images in dark enviroment. With softer LED light, you can pleasantly enjoy movies without feeling eyestrain. Brightness, contrast,color and aspect ratio can also be personalized.
- Mini Size & Multiple Accessories - The short throw projector is only 20.3*15.3*7.6 cm and 0.89 kg, lighter than most LCD projectors. The projector can be easily carried outdoors or used in your yard. (No built-in battery.) Various accessories are included in the package: HDMI cable, AV cable, AC adapter(power cable), remote control and lens cover.
- Dual Speakers and Large Screen - The mini projector with built-in surround sound speakers can turn your room into an excellent home theater. You can enjoy movies or sports on a large screen from 30 to 176 inches(30-100 inches recommended). No need to go to the crowded cinemas anymore!
Last update on 2021-01-20 / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Note: To see more models at low prices (less than 300 $), you can consult the list of LED projectors on Amazon.