The term LED refers to the type of lamp used in the projector. It is a technology of the future with many advantages and still some limitations. See the selection of the best-LED projectors.
LED is an acronym for Light, Emitting, Diode, and stands for a type of lamp. Projectors with an LED lamp are generally lighter and more compact but less bright.
This technology, its derivatives (OLED, etc.), can be found in many products, from televisions to car headlights. In a projection, LED refers to the light source and not to the projector technology itself. “LED” projectors are thus generally DLP or LCD models with an LED lamp.
What are the differences with a traditional projector?
Traditionally, projectors use mercury lamps (UHP, Ultra High Performance), which are brighter but have certain drawbacks such as lamp life or high temperature. While they generally have lower brightness, LED spotlights are often more compact and quieter than standard models. Find their strengths and weaknesses in the section below.
Advantages and disadvantages
There are many reasons for buying a projector, but unfortunately, these LED projectors are not suitable for all uses. Below is a list of their main advantages and disadvantages.
- Low heat: LED lamps to operate at much lower temperatures than conventional mercury lamps.
- Compact and lightweight: LED spotlights need less cooling than conventional spotlights. Therefore, there is no need for multiple fans in the devices, allowing them to design smaller and more robust models, particularly mini projectors and pocket projectors.
- Quiet: little cooling required so little noise. LED projectors are generally very discreet.
- Energy-efficient: LED technology consumes comparatively very little electricity (excellent light output). In the absence of an extensive cooling system, it is possible to have projectors running on a battery.
- Long lamp life: The projector from 10,000 to 20,000 hours on average, 5 times more than conventional lamps. At a rate of 2 hours of daily use, the light will have a lifespan of between 14 and 27 years.
- Ecological: there is less chance of lamps; therefore, less waste and less toxicity (no mercury).
- Low light: 1500 ANSI lumens at the maximum but generally somewhat less than 1000 lumens. It will often be necessary for home theater to have a very dark room for good picture quality. If the brightness has increased in recent years, it is still often insufficient to compete with that of conventional LCD and DLP models.
- For information, many manufacturers use “LED lumens” instead of “ANSI lumens.” See the insert below for more details.
In summary, LED projectors are more compact, quieter, more economical, and more environmentally friendly. In return, however, they are also less luminous, which limits their field of use.
An LED projector’s color rendering is different from that obtained by a model with a standard lamp. Consequently, for the same light output, the perception of brightness will also be different. This difference can be explained in particular by the Helmholtz – Kohlrausch effect (see Wikipedia). The perception of the clarity of an image depends on the saturation of the colors that compose it.
To value for this difference, manufacturers of LED projectors often use “LED lumens” (also called “color lumens”) instead of “ANSI lumens,” believing that the latter do not correctly reflect perceived brightness.
In our opinion, quantifying the perceived brightness is exciting, but unfortunately, there is still no standard that defines the mode of calculation of the LED lumens. In practice, each brand uses its method. Thus, it becomes impossible to objectively compare the models with each other, as is the case for ANSI lumens (measured according to a precise standard).
The selection below is specified for each model, whether the brightness is expressed in LED lumens or ANSI lumens.
What’s the use of
Due to its features, LED technology is mainly found on portable or transportable projectors. These are often “nomadic” devices, compact and robust, suitable for travel and professional use. Also, battery-operated models open up new horizons in terms of potential applications.
LED projectors are also quite suitable for projecting photos or films in large format. However, we will have to wait a little longer to have an extensive dedicated home theater range, with performance comparable to conventional DLP and 3LCD projectors.
Hybrid led-laser projectors
The system uses a light source an LED lamp associated with a laser to maximize the brightness. The colors are then composed of red (LED) and blue (Laser). This technique makes it possible to achieve higher brightness. However, these models are still few and relatively expensive to date.
Best LED Projector
Find below a selection of the best-LED projectors, sorted by price (from 350 to 1500 USD). If you are looking for a mini LED projector, you can also check the mini projectors page.
- 🌄🌅【UPGRADED 360 DEGREES ROTATED】 Unlike ordinary 90 degree rotating lights, this led light can be rotated 360 degree so that you can freely adjust the angle. It can produce different lights from different angles, so as to bring different effects to your room.
- 🌄🌅【ROMANTIC VISUAL EXPERIENCE】 BBIQI Rainbow sunset floor lamp allows you to have a romantic modern bedroom, a warm and pleasant living room for you and your family, and a quality of life. Bring happiness to family and children.
- 🌄🌅【STABLE AND DURABLE】 Made of high quality PC and metal. The lamp is always stable thanks to the stable base and lamp mast. The energy-efficient, glare-free LED lamp has a long service life.
- 【Star Projector + LED Ocean Wave Projector】 The Newest Star projector instantly projects a field of drifting stars against a transforming blue nebula cloud with 10 color rotational dynamic projections. The soothing aurora effect creates a relaxing environment in any room! It also works as a unique nightlight. An excellent gift for kids alike!
- 【10 Color Dynamic Projections】4 colored lights(blue, red, green, white) can project solid or multicolored ocean wave lighting effects and laser/starlight can project a field of drifting stars. A variety of colors combined with dynamic night sky projection of different speeds, creating a relaxed, romantic, colorful space projection atmosphere, to show you a gorgeous starry skylight.
- 【Easy to Use with Remote】 This latest night light projector with a remote controller can freely turn on/off the lamp, change lighting mode, dance mode, adjust the volume, or to set automatically turn off the timer.
- ☘ The rainbow sunset atmosphere lamp projection lamp allows you to have a romantic modern bedroom, a warm and pleasant living room suitable for you and your family, and a quality life. Bring happiness to family and children.
- ☘ The lamp head can be rotated 360 degrees and can emit different lights from different angles, thereby bringing different effects to your room.
- ☘ Made of high-quality iron. Since the base and pole are stable, the bulb is always stable. Energy-saving, glare-free LED lights have a long service life.
- ✅ Star Projector & LED Ocean Wave Projector- The USB powered night light projector features an adjustable colored ocean wave set with a green beam light that creates an amazing aurora starry light show. With the adjustable projection angle and 360-degree swivel design, the music galaxy projector allows you to place it at any place and direction you want.
- ✅ 10 Color Modes & Brightness Adjustable - The LED ocean wave light has 10 color modes that can be divided into two main patterns of single-color mode and two-tone mode, meanwhile the beam light changes to breathing mode (fade-in/fade-out). As well as the color modes, the night light has 4 brightness levels with a dimming range of 10%~100%.
- ✅ Remote Control & Wi-Fi APP Control - The smart star projector is equipped with a remote control that enables you to adjust the power on/off, light brightness, color modes, music play/pause, volume, and more. Or you can connect your home Wi-Fi and control the color effects, flash speed, brightness, color temperature through an APP or smart speaker Amazon Alexa.
- Star Projector + Ocean Wave Projector: Eicaus night light projector can not only emits an array of twilight stars to project starry scene, but also transforms your room into a tranquil & relaxing underwater oasis. Turning your place into a magical experience.
- Dimmable & 10 Colors Options: Choose your mood with red, blue, green, white or multicolor shows and pick your desired brightness. The colorful light casts on ceilings or walls and will create the romantic, relaxation, or cozy ambiance you need.
- Built-in Music Speaker: Works with smartphones via Bluetooth or just insert TF card, you can enjoy the music to relax, or play sleep sound to help your baby/kids stay asleep peacefully. With unique sound-activated mode, the lights flicker and change patterns with the beat of the music, resulting in a starry sky projection.
- ✨【Star Projector + LED Ocean Wave Projector】 Bring a galaxy indoors& amazing aurora starry light show! The Newest Star projector instantly projects a field of drifting stars against a transforming blue nebula cloud with 10 colors 360°rotational dynamic projections. A unique way to light up parties, revitalize your workspace, or light a romantic dinner for two. It also works as a unique night light. An excellent gift for kids alike!
- ✨【Remote & Sound Activated & Auto-Off Timer 】The latest remote controller ocean wave night light projector with sound-activated flicker mode. Freely turn on/off the lamp, change lighting mode, cycle through light effects, adjust brightness, start/stop the motion or adjust the volume. Sound motion sensor allows the projection changing the color according to the music beat or clapping your hands, creating a disco or party effect. 3 Auto-off timer options, built-in 1H/ 2H/ turn off.
- ✨【Newest Bluetooth 5.2& USB Disk Readable】Built-in Mini Bluetooth 5.2 Music Speaker and USB slot, play your favorite lullaby music, relaxing, meditation music through the night light projector while watching the aurora nebula cloud galaxy at night, create a romantic soothing atmosphere.
- The Sky Lite instantly projects a field of drifting BLUE stars against a transforming BLUE nebula cloud (Patent Protected).
- Sky Lite incorporates a direct diode Laser, precision glass optics and holographic technologies to create an otherworldly visual experience.
- With soothing aurora effects that create a relaxing environment in any room, the Sky Lite is a standout gift for adults and kids alike.
- SUPERIOR WATCHING EXPERIENCE: Leisure 3 Projector is Powered by MStar Advanced Color Engine. 2018 upgraded LED lighting provides +40% brightness than ordinary projector. Supporting 1920x1080 resolution, 2000:1 contrast ration which is ideal for home entertainment. Not recommend for PowerPoint or other office presentation.
- MULTIMEDIA PORTABLE PROJECTOR: VANKYO Leisure 3 projectors is fit for playing videos, TV series, photos sharing, football matches etc. It can be easily connected with your smartphone, PS3, PS4, X-Box ONE or Wii to enjoy BIG games. A customized bag is designed for you to carry and store it easily.
- BIG SCREEN SIZE EXPERIENCE: It provides a watching size from 32” to 176” with the projection distance between 4.9ft to 16.4ft. A projection distance of about 6.5 ft is the recommended viewing distance.
Last update on 2021-03-09 / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Note: To see more models at low prices (less than 300 $), you can consult the list of LED projectors on Amazon.