Last Update October 31, 2020: We improved the overall article.
- Eclipse or Android Studio (For Android)
- Visual Studio (for Windows Phone)
- XCode (for iOS)
- Web Storm (Device Agnostic)
How To Work PhoneGap
PhoneGap Build Structure
It’s important to understand that the web browser PhoneGap uses is still provided by the operating system, and as such provides the same level of HTML5 support. so that means that when developing your PhoneGap application you cannot assume that the full HTML5 specification.
Native Operating System Features:
PhoneGap Key Component
- An OS Specific Wrapper: This is the bit that’s specific to the OS your building for, that allows PhoneGap to build and deploy your source code.
Advantages of PhoneGap Build
- Speed up the building process
- Simplify your source control structure
- Simplify your development deployments
- No need to maintain several different OS wrappers
Disadvantages of PhoneGap Build
- PhoneGap build isn’t free (as of writing this it is free for 1 app)
- The version of PhoneGap used by PhoneGap build tends to lag behind the latest PhoneGap version.(as of writing this PhoneGap is at version 3.3, and PhoneGap Build is supporting 3.1)
- Deploying a new development version requires a good web connection for both deploying and receiving